Friday, January 23, 2009

Texas

I've been in Texas for the week for work. I used to live in Texas, not by choice, but nonetheless I lived here for about 2 years. When I lived in TX, I could not wait to get out. I lived in Del Rio, which is about 3 hours west of San Antonio. Didn't think there was anything west of San Antonio? Well, you are correct! I was in the middle of no where, and the town was fondly referred to as 'Hell Rio' and 'Del Crappo'.

But there were good things about living in Del Rio, and here's a few in case you were curious:

- It was the first time J and I lived together since we were together, and also since we had been married. Unfortunately, we also worked together. Which, no matter how good your relationship is (and we have a good one) is trying at times.

- I adopted 3 pets, mostly because I had nothing better to do and I *love* animals. I'm pretty sure the only reason J went along with it is because he was bored, too. Otherwise we would have just had fish.

- I was in the best shape of my life. I worked out every morning, either running or doing the elliptical for 45 minutes. Every night I went on a 3 mile walk.

- I started clipping coupons. We'd get the Sunday paper and just clip away! For three months we got free cat food just from clipping out of the Sunday paper. I love coupons now - I know it makes me seem old, but whatever!

- I had a tan (well, tan for me is a healthy color for normal people). Not because I tried, but because it was SW Texas, and if you spend any time outside you get some color.

- We made some good friends, that we would drink and play poker with on the weekends. These were the kinds of friends who you could ask to watch your pets if you were going out of town, borrow their car, lend you a hand moving, walk into your house whenever. We were pretty tight, I think it might have been the shared boredom, but I miss them.

- There was no traffic. Although the van that had no driver slowly rolling across the Walmart parking lot was pretty scary, I sometimes think that that unattended, moving van was safer than some of the drivers in the metro DC area.

- I spent like *no* money. We lived on base, and there was nothing to buy and no where to go. In fact, I forgot my debit card pin number for a week because I hadn't used it in so long. Luckily, it came to me one day and I was able to buy a churro.

- Dairy Queen and Sonic. I think that's self explanatory.

Although I was not looking forward to this trip, because of ridiculously long work days and the overall being in Texas thing, it certainly reminded me that every cloud has a silver lining. I am glad I had my time in Texas for the above reasons, but it also reminds me that I am grateful to live somewhere now where my weekends consist of more than a trip to Walmart, and possibly dinner at Chili's.

2 comments:

lacochran said...

I am amazed when I go to a new town (for me) and it's just chain restaurant after chain restaurant. Disturbing but true Americana, I suppose.

Draffish said...

I resent the implication that I don't like out animals....
They are "nice"