Friday, January 9, 2009

I'm that person

I have been out of the office at a conference for the past day and a half. First off, the conference was intense and overwhelming to say the least. It was aimed at driving a strategic policy that is a) way over my head at this point in my career and b) expected to be part of my job. So I was a bit frazzled. I think I handled the bulk of it well, but when everyone in the room has a good 20 years over you...well, that's initimidating. Not to mention the fact that most of the people in the room are able to dismantle bombs, while I can't even figure out how to replace the razor cartridge on my Venus.

I was able to get back to the office late yesterday afternoon, after a lunch with some peeps I used to know. It was great to be able to talk to people on the same wavelength (and age group), and I felt better about my conference in general. Anyway, back to the office. So it's around 2:30 by the time I sat my butt down in my cozy cubicle. (which, by the by, it's like 108 degrees in here everyday, so I think we should call it a melticle or something that doesn't allude to being frigid). My division is nestled in another division, which we really have nothing in common with and no reason to be colocated with. No one said a word to me for the remainder of the day. No - 'Hey, where have you been?' 'Hi, how are you?' 'Can you pass me that fax?' 'Do you smell that?' Not a word, not a grunt, not a look. I felt like that episode of Friends where whoever the guy is who used to play George Costanza played an office worker threatening suicide, and no one paid attention. Except Phoebe, who was a telemarketer, and tried to help him. Yeah...I felt like that guy! I didn't realize how very little I interact with others in my office throughout the day.

I'm starting to feel like I am an island over here. But truth be told, listening to these people converse, I'm not sure I'd fit in or want to be a part of their group. I am not a Republican who considers the president elect a communist who will ruin the country. When someone announces the birth of a baby, I don't compare that to my cat. I don't speak in a monotone. I have not yet gone through either menopause or male pattern baldness.

I wish I had a coworker my age, because I could seriously use a beer-thirty today. Except instead of beer, I'd substitute a flavored martini that would help me feel warm, fuzzy and generally jovial the entire metro ride home. Have a great weekend everyone!

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

Working with everyone so much older sucks...I had a job like that several years ago. What's a beer-thirty? I must not be down with the office lingo, lol!

lacochran said...

It's always easier to relate to people who are like you (age, politics, etc.) But if you limit yourself to people only in your age range or your political sphere, you are limiting yourself indeed. I'm guessing you don't say much to them and you give off a "you're old and weird" vibe so you can't expect them to be overjoyed to see you.

Or, more likely, they're assholes.

SheinMD said...

I try to talk to them - at least I have in the past. I'm not an incredibly outgoing person though, so if I don't get much of a response from people I tend to back off.

Scenic Wheaton said...

My suggestion is to tape a small box of Mexican Jumping beans under one of your co-workers' chairs. It will really liven up your office when those things start clicking around and no one can figure out where it is coming from.